Sustainable Cities Internship Program
About the Program
Are you interested in getting experience in sustainability? The University of Arizona Office of Sustainability is partnered with local government agencies and non-profit organizations working on local issues in areas like water, energy, transportation, food, policy, and more (see our full list of focus areas below). Working with our partners, we help create internship opportunities that provide engaging and valuable experiences for students interested in sustainability-focused careers.
Current focus areas in our program include:
water | air | transportation | sustainability planning & policy | waste | food | ecology & conservation | energy | local economies
Eligibility and Placement
Our program is designed to place students in internships that best suit their interests, skill-set, and goals. Whether you are interested in learning more about sustainability, or are already highly specialized in a particular area, we can find a great position for you.
Here are a few need to know facts about the program:
- Intern positions are open for this fall and beyond. Positions are filled on a rolling basis.
- Interns are placed based on focus-area interest, skill-set, and availability.
- The intern program is open to all levels (undergrad and graduate).
- The program is open to all backgrounds and majors.
- Most positions require a minimum of around 10 hours a week, however, you can work with your host site to determine your hours based on your availability.
- Paid and unpaid positions are available.
- For credit options are also available. We'll work with you on your program requirements.
Host Sites & Opportunities
For a full list of partner host-sites and available opportunities, please click here.
Option 1: Fill out our survey and upload a resume and cover letter to our online application. Follow the link here.
Option 2: Fill out our online survey here, and email your resume and cover letter to the following:
- Nichole Casebeer, Graduate Assistant | email@example.com
- Ben Champion, Director | firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover letters should address the following questions:
- What does sustainability mean to you?
- Which of the roles and topic areas interest you most?
- What experience(s) (academic or hands-on) do you have that would help your host agency?
- What experiences and skills would you like to gain through this internship?
On-Campus Student Projects
There are many ways to get involved in sustainability on campus! Check out these links or email us about ways to help out with the projects below.
- Agnese Nelms Haury Program in Environment and Social Justice: Undergraduate Engagement
- UA Zero Waste Basketball and Football Games
- UA Green Purchasing Project
- Spring Fling 2014
- Arizona Higher Education Sustainability Conference (AHESC)
- Project Pawprint
- UA Food Day (co-sponsor)
Explore Sustainability at UA through our new interactive webmap!